Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Doug Blasdell


For me the main attraction for watching Workout was Doug Blasdell. I loved his smile and beautiful eyes. He was a gentle man, fit and masculine, and comfortable with being gay. In an AfterElton.com interview he discusses his reasons for participating in Workout:
"When I took the job here's what was most important to me: to portray a gay man as a healthy guy who is somewhat good looking and normal. Not over the top gay," Blasdell told AfterElton.com. "That's important because Hollywood doesn't show that a lot... I want to portray a real gay man for those people in Nebraska that are afraid to come out."

Blasdell said by appearing on Work Out, he also hoped to "show that you can be in your 40's and still have a good body and have a healthy lifestyle."

"I know a lot of 40-year-olds let their body's go. You can have great abs and be forty-three. You just have to work out two or three days a week," he told AfterElton.com. "And I saw it as an opportunity to be a role model."

Now that Doug is gone, I am having difficulty watching the show. I'm sure that over time I'll become accustomed to his absence, but the show just doesn't seem the same without him. If you want to read Doug’s entire interview, click on the next link: Reality TV World, January 24, 2007


Jesse Brune’s blog on Outzone provides a touching tribute. Jesse gave Doug a rough time earlier this season, and I began to resent him for making Doug’s life difficult when he had so little time left. This heartfelt tribute makes up for some of Jesse’s immature and narcissistic behavior. Click here to read it.

Information about Douglas Blasdell’s Outreach Program can be found on another post on this site. Click here to find out how you can contribute.

Posted by Ms. Place

1 comment:

Laz said...

The good thing is that Jesse and Doug made their peace with each other. And I say each other because they both crossed the line. Bruised feelings don't heal on demand; Jesse forgave when he was ready to forgive sincerely.

The show is definitely not the same without Doug. He was a good guy and admirable in every respect.