Thursday, June 7, 2007

Food Show Score Card: Week One

And the winner is!

Bravo's Top Chef 4 Star All Stars Smack Down.
Watch the entire episode here if you've missed it.


My score card for week one is:

Bravo's All Stars Smack Down (Prelude to Top Chef 3): A
Fox's Hell's Kitchen: B
Food Network's Next Food Network Star: C

So why is Bravo the winner? While Hell's Kitchen offers the best prize for the winning chef (as head of their own restaurant, no waiting as Harold Dieterle has had to do), there was very little emphasis placed on the food that was being cooked. The viewer spent the majority of time watching the chefs quake under Gordon Ramsey's verbal abuse.

As for the Next Food Network Star, it was clear that the judges were looking for on-air personalities, not necessarily the best chefs. In fact, some of these chefs are barely qualified to work in my home kitchen!

Bravo, on the other hand, places the emphasis where it belongs: on the heat of the competition and the personalities of the chefs. The Smack Down was sheer fun, even though 90% of us had already guessed the ending. Plus Bravo knows how to support its fans, placing meaty material on their website almost as soon as the show has aired.

2 comments:

bungle said...

Please pardon the enthusiasm, but last night's Smackdown (LOVE the title of that by the way) WAS SOFA KING COOL! I still have yet to see TC season 1, so no offense to them but I was pulling for TC2, you know, the latter were my first and all.
:D

Elia looked completely amazing.

All in all the episode was better than I hoped for, and my expectations were high. It was for the usual show reasons but it was also nice to see the contestants you know again. On that note it kinda made me wish the other TC2 cast were on too, but what can you do. Now I can't wait for next week (the beginning of TC3) and I'm going to check if TC1 is on dvd. I'd like to know about the crew my favorite chefs did battle with.

As far as the scorecard... I haven't even heard of one of them and never watched either. I'm aware there is a Food network and that there are cooking shows on TV but the closest I'll ever come to watching one in my life is TC hands down (or one behind yer back! How weird was that?)

kittens not kids said...

how awesome is Ted Allen???? i am SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited that he'll be in Season Three.....If I watch, it'll be for him (and then I'll get sucked in by The Drama!)

Marcel - still a tool. why, WHY did he have to be all "rapping"? why did they show it? it HURTS me to cringe that much.....